Saturday, February 2, 2008

Tehnical difficulties at C.N.

It’s been quite a few days at Camp Nickleby. Our computer server has been down since last Thursday. Geoffrey, one of our campers and, dare I say it, quite a computer wiz, checked it out and figured out what the problem was. Apparently thousands and thousands of emails were rerouted to our system! We’re really not sure where things emails came from, but they seem to be from a person using the name Darth Vader. Most of the emails are to another person described as ‘Turd Blossom’. From what we can tell, most of these emails concern another person named ‘Plame’, and how Vader and Turd Blossom were out to get the husband of this ‘Plame’ person. All very strange. Being a very cautious young lad, Geoffrey decided to place all of these emails on several CDs and sent them to the Department of Homeland Security! I hope they know what to do with them. Who knows, it might be another Islamfascist plot.

Ironically, this was not the only weird thing we received this past week. On Monday, we received a FedEx package in the mail from a PO box in San Clemente, California. In the package, we found a TEAC reel-to-reel tape. Real old school! We don’t have a reel-to-reel machine here at old C.N. so we have no idea what’s on it. The only thing we do know, from the markings on the metal reel, is that the tape is approximately 18 minutes long. We can’t wait to find out what is on it.

On the lighter side, teaching can be such a rewarding experience! Last Friday was Art History Day in my art class. We studied the works of the Surrealists: Dali, Magritte, Miro, etc. I instructed my students that the surrealists were interested in what goes on in the human subconscious, and the work of psychiatrist Sigmund Freud. I asked them if they knew who Sigmund Freud was. Most of them looked at me with a blank stare, but one brave soul volunteered, “Aren’t they those tiger tamers in Las Vegas.” As the other students gleefully agreed with him, I almost hit my head on the edge of my desk as I fell to the floor.

No comments: