Tuesday, October 12, 2010

CONFRONTING THE ZEITGEIST HEAD ON


While driving to Camp this morning, I made a quick dash into the Wal-Mart (spawn of Satan) in Hog Lick Corners to pick up some supplies for the class room. Seems our purchase order has been ‘lost’ somewhere in Dr. Chee’s office.

After filling up my little blue basket with No. 2 pencils (which the idiots will chew down to stubs in a matter of minutes), erasers (which they don’t know how to use) and some pencil sharpeners (which they will destroy before the day is through) I went to the check out. An older villager lady was working at the register. She asked me what all of my purchases were for. I told her I was a public school teacher at Camp Nickleby. She asked if I liked my work and a said, “No, I hate it!” She then asked, as if reading off of cue cards supplied by Arne Duncan, “It’s because of those teachers’ unions, isn’t it? The school can’t get rid of all of those BAD TEACHERS because of tenure!”

I was going to ask her, “How many bad teachers do you think are actually in our schools?” But I figured, why bother? She’s probably Waiting for Superman too!

No comments: