Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What we've got here is failure to communicate!


Yesterday was just wonderful! I gave each camper a printed progress grade for the semester. As expected, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Some were even close to tears. A great way to start the week! And as usual, I feel like I’m in a remake of Cool Hand Luke, and I’m cast in the Strother Martin role.

It never ceases to amaze me how many campers still haven’t learned how to actually listen. I can only imagine what it sounds like in their little skulls. How much of what I tell them actually gets through the barricades. My most recent guess is about every fifth word. Could be less.

There was a steady pilgrimage to my desk yesterday, each camper asking when projects were due and if they could still make up work, even though I gave each camper a very nicely printed end-of-the-year calendar for them to keep, with due dates clearly showing. As a back up, I have a large calendar posted in the room. Didn’t matter. They don’t read either. Would take up too much of their time.

And of course, I was the one giving them an ‘F’. Their performance was nowhere in the equation. Two more weeks to go. Dear gawd make it go faster, please!

2 comments:

Sanders BUT not the COLONEL said...

What is this grading you speak of???? Please cease and desist immediately!
All grades, as you SHOULD know, come directly from the GRADE FAIRY. Grades have nothing to do with student work completed or ability.

Simply place your roll sheet under your pillow and “POOF!” in the morning the grades will be written in red pen beside each name. (* “POOF!” may require an several ambien and some vodka) This prevents all hard feelings on both sides since the students know that it had nothing to do with them or you.

Factoid: once I wrote my prediction of each students final grade two weeks into the semester ..sealed it in an envelope.. then opened it at the end of the semester …. I had over 90% right….

Anonymous said...

I am Mrs. Bailey. I was wondering if you had any ideas to help my students?