Thursday, July 24, 2008

Margaret Spellings just cost me $675!


The comically-delusional Margaret Spellings appeared on the Colbert Report Tuesday night, July 22. A five-minute segment on that show ended up costing me $675.

With the ominous possibility of me not having a workable television next year, I succumbed to the sirens’ song and purchased a new one at a local electronics store. Not a big screen, not the best picture, but it will work come February 2009. I took it home, plugged it in, and watched The Colbert Report. I usually watch the 8:30 p.m. rebroadcast of The Colbert Report because I can no longer stay awake until 11:30 p.m. Much to my surprise, our very own Secretary of Education was a guest. With much trepidation, I decided to see what she had to say.

In über-cheerleader mode, she of course praised the wonderful transformations that have come about in public education since the incorporation of NCLB. She also praised Senator Ted Kennedy and all the other bleeding-heart liberals who thought they were actually voting for educational reform (what freaking morons)! Rattling off statistics that were dubious at best, with glee did she promote the Bushites’ master plan for public education’s demise. And when her eyebrows went up and a maniacal smile appeared on her face when Colbert suggested schools allow federally-mandated spanking, I just started getting the dry heaves.

It was at this point that I heard a little voice in my head, telling me, “kick your TV, kick your TV, kick your TV.” And I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a pretty accurate description of your initial response to seeing/hearing Marge on the Colbert Report last night EXCEPT it was missing the swear words.

guess we'll have to wait for the historians to hear what a flop NCLB is/was.

Anonymous said...

I saw that too! But, I did not want to clean up a mess, so I just flipped her the bird. She was so used to it, she did not even respond! Geezzzzz.