Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'M GOING TO MISS MY BIG BUDDY

Well, we’re winding down here at Camp Nickleby. The year is almost over. We are in the middle of finals, and our little senior snowflakes will be graduating tomorrow night. This should be a time of joy and celebration. But not for me.

My very best buddy is gone. I have been on this planet long enough now to have known many dogs. But Moe was the best! An Aussie-Lab mix, Moe had more personality than a whole kennel full of dogs. I’m not sure what he liked most, going to the beach or making Moe-angels in the snow.

Moe was twelve, as of last February, and was starting to develop health problems. He was starting to move a little slower, and he could no longer jump up into the car. We had to scoop him up. Not an easy feat. He weighed in at 100 lbs. We took him in to the vet and it was discovered that he had an enlarged spleen, and other complications. Surgery and recovery would have been too painful and cruel. We decided to make that dreaded decision.

Moe was our 'seeing art dog'. We would take him into galleries, when allowed, and he would check out the artwork. Abstract Expressionism was his favorite style. Color-field painting, not so much. His last art excursion was up to Davis, to take part in a ceramic sculpture conference. We would walk him around town, and he truly enjoyed all of the attention passers-by bestowed upon him. I'd like to think he's up there now, hanging out with Voulkos and Arneson, begging for some treats.

His constant smile was infectious. He was a joy to have around. I still remember how he crossed his front legs when relaxing. I can still hear him shaking his collar in the middle of the night. It will take me a long, long time to really understand that he is truly gone. Moe, you will be missed. Damn!

First Moe, then Koko Taylor, and now David Carradine! Wow, what a crappy week!

But with dogs, we do have "bad dog." Bad dog exists. "Bad dog! Bad dog! Stole a biscuit, bad dog!" The dog is saying, "Who are you to judge me? You human beings who've had genocide, war against people of different creeds, colors, religions, and I stole a biscuit?! Is that a crime? People of the world!""Well, if you put it that way, I think you've got a point. Have another biscuit, sorry."
---Eddie Izzard





Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- - - Groucho Marx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a way with words! What a beautiful eulogy to a great and good dog Moe!

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful. I like how he moves from dog biscuits to genocide

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Unconditional love is hard to come by. I believe we will meet up with our friends again. They will be so happy to see us, as we are them. More good times will be had by all.