Monday, January 26, 2009

Going, going, gone


Against my better judgment, I went down the mountain into Hog Lick Corners this Saturday to check out the action at the Circuit City store there. Maybe pick up a great deal on a new set of speakers for my stereo. OMG! It was like a shark feeding frenzy! People were taking away large-screen TVs and stuffing them in the back of their F150s. Inside the store was total chaos. People were buying stuff just to be buying stuff. Oddly enough, there still was a mountain of Miley Cyrus guitar games still available. I passed.

It got me to thinking that maybe this economic recession might be self-induced. I know that I have stopped buying stuff at brick-and-mortar stores and just purchase things online. It’s faster, easier and, when my computer is actually working, it is way less stressful than dealing with store personnel. Perhaps a lot of other people are like me. I’m just tired of:
• Helping a cashier make change, even with an automated cash register
• Guessing how much an unpriced item costs or looking for a price scanner to check an unpriced item
• Asking to see my identification, over and over and over and over again, within the same credit transaction
• Asking a non-existent store employee to retrieve a wanted item from the uppermost shelf
• Assisting a store employee to locate an advertised item
• Listening in on employees’ intimate conversations during a transaction
• Being ignored or treated like a nuisance by store employees during a sales transaction
And so it goes.

Although it is really sad to see the Circuit City employees still working, making the best of a bad situation and waiting for the other shoe to drop, the people hired to hold the GOING OUT OF BUSINESS signs outside of the store are really at the bottom of the retail food chain. I think I even recognized one of our Camp Nickleby dropouts working the corner.

No comments: