Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oooops!




I usually read the warning labels on bottles of ceramic glazes before I use them. Mainly I look for health-related issues or firing temperatures to prevent any mishaps in the kiln. But nothing could prepare me for this.

A student in my afternoon ceramics class decided to apply a clear, low-fire glaze to her mask project, to bring out the color of the underglazes she decorated it with. I told her to only apply one or two coats of the glaze. She proceeded to apply 27 coats. I fired it anyway, just to see what would happen. The people at Duncan Ceramics should place a warning on the label, stating that if clear glaze is applied too thickly, it turns somewhat 'milky'. I have a feeling I saw this same thing happen in a movie once.

1 comment:

Sanders BUT not the COLONEL said...

ALL ABOARD the learning TRAIN!

My favorite English 3 college prep. students' quotes of this WEEK....

"Eggs don't come from animals..vegans could eat them"

"Ice has calories"

Not only have these little darlings been left behind by the learning train*
the students aren't even at the station. Choo-Choo!

*( I am not allowed anymore to say the short bus..too degrading to the window lickers )