Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tchotchky, lots and lots of tchotchky . . .



We are into week two of the spring semester here at camp. With schedule changes and new students coming into class during the past week, it seems like the dust is finally starting to settle. After a three-week break during the holidays, it always takes some time to get up to speed. Some of our campers are still in the motherland, visiting family and friends south of the border. They keep trickling in on a daily basis.

I spent my break moving. I took advantage of someone else’s misfortune and purchased a foreclosure house in nearby Cedarville. Got it for a song! And I have only 30 years to pay it off!

Moving, after being at the same place for twelve years, was a nightmare! Books and books and book, plus a bunch of ceramic studio stuff. But what really took up room in the old U-Haul van was the tchotchky. Lots and lots of tchotchky! Going through boxes and boxes of worthless nonsense, purchased at flea markets and junk shops over the years, proved to be very telling. There was definitely a pathology being exhibited, right before my very eyes! I have been searching for a 12-step program I may enroll in to help me with my tchotchky addiction. Tchotchky Buyers Anonymous or something? So far, no luck.

And I really don’t understand the underlying physics of moving from one home to another. I moved from a two-bedroom apartment into a three-bedroom house. How could all of the stuff in the old place NOT fit into the larger place? It was like one of those sponge dinosaurs that you throw into a glass of water. It grows 600%, although in my case, the stuff grew about 2000%!

The unpacking continues.

No comments: